White Elephant Gifts Under $20

(Sam Solomon) #1

The holidays are coming up and my friends usually have a party with White Elephant gifts—usually items under $20.

These items are supposed to be quirky and many people treat them as gag gifts. I generally, like to try and find gifts that are hilarious, but can also be used or enjoyed after the party.

With y’alls input I was hoping to create a list of gift ideas. If you could, please post items with a short explanation on why you think it makes a good gift. I’ll try and keep this post updated.

White Elephant Gifts Under $20

(Alex W) #2

What is white elephant? Is that the same thing as secret Santa?

(Sam Solomon) #4

Ah, I should have explained. White Elephant is a game where friends exchange wrapped gifts and can steal a gifts from another. The game is also known as Secret Santa. Here’s how it works:

• Each participant brings one wrapped gift with a maximum dollar amount—usually about $20.
  • Participants determine in which order they will take turns selecting them. This is often handled by drawing a numbers out of a hat.
  • Once the first gift is opened, participants have the option either to open a new gift or steal gift from someone else. If a person has a gift stolen. That person can choose another wrapped gift or can steal from someone else.
  • A gift can only be stolen once per turn. If someone steals a gift from you, then you cannot steal it back. Additionally, we generally limit the number of times a gift can be stolen. That’s not a requirement though.

(Guy Stein) #5

I always go with some sort of Star Wars mug. It almost always draws some sort of reaction—people either love or hate Star Wars or are think it is inferior to Star Track. Those people are wrong and my Secret Santa gift is just a reminder of that.

The two I regularly go back and fourth between are the Darth Vader and Storm Trooper mugs.

The BB8 coffee mugs are way overpriced, but who doesn’t want to drink out of Darth Vader’s helmet?

(Sam Solomon) #7

I like it! Post updated.

(Geeze) #8

Yep. I’ve always generally called this game Secret Santa, not White Elephant though.

(Sam Solomon) #9

A post was split to a new topic: Rubber Band Machine Gun