Away Aluminum Bigger Carry-on Review

Thought I'd share a few pictures I took of my new Aluminum Bigger Carry-on Bag from Away. There's probably not enough here for a full review, but hopefully these pictures are of some use. As you'll see the bag is both beautiful and functional. There's a lot to love.

Away-Bigger-Carry-on-Aluminum-Edition

Away Aluminum Edition

Beautiful, functional luggage

The Aluminum line takes the practicality of Away's luggage and adds a touch of sophistication—for a price. The timeless look at lifetime warranty make this bag truely buy-it-for-life.

I’m a sucker for details like the little welcome packet. It’s so well executed. That little palm tree just feels like vacation. You can smell it in the air. It’s a very nice touch.

The inside of the bag is cleverly organized. The left side has a larger compartment that I’ve used for shoes toiletries and items that can be a little loose. There’s also a handful of utility compartments.

The right side is where your clothes go. There are two buckles that function like tow straps. You stuff as much as you can into the bag and then wench it down as far as it will go. It’s an efficient way to pack for vacations.

Also, the right side contains a netted compartment that’s perfect for an iPad or Macbook.

One of the more clever travel inventions I’ve seen. This is a plug that charges the bag’s battery (or your phone) along with a series of international adapters. The adapters simply slide over the U.S. outlet adapter when it’s closed.

Away uses incredibly durable Hinomoto Wheels on its luggage. They are a marvel. They turn smooth and easily in every scenario.

The Aluminum bag has two 3-digit combo locks. I like the satisfying thunk sound made when they spring open. It’s one of those tiny design details that feels great.

Also, this is where the TSA lock so the government can invade your privacy. Unfortunately, that’s a requirement for all locked luggage these days

Some of the studs and details of the bag—it really is attractive. We’ll see how well it wears though. Away’s website mentions dents aren’t uncommon. Since this is a carry-on I’m hoping I can avoid some thrashing. Time will tell.

Someone on reddit pointed out that the aluminum bags were smaller than the standard ones. Comparing it side-by-side with my girlfriends bag it’s pretty obvious that the standard bag is bigger. I think this is because the aluminum one has feet. I’m a light packer, so it’s not a big deal. However, if you struggle to get everything into a bag to begin with, you might want to go with the original bag.

I suspect this is true of the entire aluminum line. I bet the medium and large aluminum bags are also smaller than their counterparts.

Away-Bigger-Carry-on-Aluminum-Edition

Away Aluminum Edition

Beautiful, functional luggage

The Aluminum line takes the practicality of Away's luggage and adds a touch of sophistication—for a price. The timeless look at lifetime warranty make this bag truely buy-it-for-life.

Related Posts

2 Likes

Man, that is a slick-looking piece of luggage. Good photos!

Thanks! It’s been to Miami and the Bahamas. I’m planning to update this review with more photos and commentary after I get back from India in early September.

Hopefully, I can report on how well the luggage wears by then.